[Samba] Basic questions regarding Samba capabilities

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 27 22:15:28 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 15:56 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai,
>
> Backend -- OPENLDAP isn't supported as a back-end.. I believe that your
> only option is to use the built-in samba4 back-end at this point..
>
> About above, is it still posible to replicate the "samba ad/ldap" to other ldap servers ( without samba ),
> and will openldap be a supported backend in the future.

No, the OpenLDAP backend was a dead end development wise for the AD DC.
We couldn't make it work fully, and it won't be revived because it is
(essentially) incompatible with DRS replication and needs the AD schema
anyway.

Because we are tied to AD schema and behaviour, using a different LDAP
server simply doesn't bring us any significant gains.

Andrew Bartlett