[Samba] exported LDAP DB > file > smbpasswd?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri May 25 08:17:00 MDT 2012

I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

However I do not know which LDAP field is used for the "pGina"
password-  I believe it is "userPassword" but I am not sure.

If seems to me you have three options

1.  Crack the unix passwords so you can create matching windows passwords.
2.  Configure Samba and your Windows clients to use plain text
authentication so that your "unix" passwords can be used for authentication.
3.  Prior to switching users to samba, have them create their "samba"
passwords.  Or you may have to set an initial password for each user.

If I were to try to have users set their samba passwords, I would
probably try to set up a web page that validates their login against the
current non-samba password (Plaintext auth over SSL encryption ) , then
passes the password and user name to a script to set their samba password.

It would be simpler if the Windows machines were in a Samba domain - but
that may be tricky to do.