[Samba] Problem joining to a Samba PDC (Probably caused by "unix charset")

Ralf Aumueller Ralf.Aumueller at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri May 25 04:56:50 MDT 2012

Hello,

trying to join a Windows 7 64-Bit PC to a Samba PDC (3.6.5) fails with message
"Domain not found or no connection possible". After some testing I found that
the problem was caused by the Samba-parameter "unix charset = ISO8859-1".
When I start the nmbd with same config-file just without the "unix charset" the
PC can join the domain (smbd runs with org. config-file. Samba runs on CentOS6
(en_US.UTF-8)).

Is this the expected behavior?

(At the moment I need ISO8859-1 because the files were saved with this charset).

Best regards,

Ralf