[Samba] exported LDAP DB > file > smbpasswd?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:35:00 MDT 2012

Presumably with the PGINA/LDAP solution, the has method is something
unix-compatible  (e.g. unix crypt+md5, or SSHA) that is hard to break
with a password cracking program?     Are the LDAP transmissions done in
the clear?  If so, you could sniff the traffic and capture the
passwords.   (You may not consider this ethical.)  Either way, if you
had a database of plain text passwords you could then create the NTLM
passwords for each user.

You could try configuring samba to use permit plain text passwords for
authentication.  I think (but not sure) that could then configure samba
to use pam authentication (the same way a unix login would.)  But you
would then need to configure all the Windows PC's to support plain text
passwords.