[Samba] Samba4 : Problem setting folder and file permissions from windows box

micmac micdedi at free.fr
Thu May 24 02:14:16 MDT 2012

Hi, this is my first message here. I need help, the reason is in the title.
The version running is SAMBA_4.0.0ALPHA18_DEVELOPERBUILD

It was running just fine until I had (for some reason) had to transfer all
the system (ubuntu 11.10 server)
to another clean hard drive. I used  "rsync -rltgoHDv /olddriveroot
/newdriveroot" to copy the files,
and installed grub on the new disk.

Now the problem is that  samba4 works, domain users can log on and access
files, but the permissions
have been reset to some basic values (different from all the ones I had set
before), and I can not
change them at all from a windows7 box as I could before. When I apply the
changes, it takes a while
to process the files, then the "basic" permissions are set again (my changes
lost).

Here is my /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf :

[global]
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8 192.168.1.0/24
        server role = domain controller
        workgroup = ACEIUBUNTU
        realm = ACEI2
        netbios name = ubuntuserveur
        passdb backend = samba4
        security = ADS
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        wins support = yes
        browseable = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_SNDBUF=4096

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/acei2/scripts
        read only = no

[sysvol]
        read only = no

[profiles]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/profiles
        read only = no

[homes]
        path = /home/windows
        read only = no

The AD database is readable, since I can edit users and computers with the
administration toolkit
from windows7 box.

/usr/local/samba/bin/testparm gives the following result :

Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[sysvol]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC

[global]
        workgroup = ACEIUBUNTU
        realm = ACEI2
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8, 192.168.1.0/24
        server role = domain controller
        security = ADS
        passdb backend = samba4
        log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_SNDBUF=4096
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        idmap config * : backend = tdb

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/acei2/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        read only = No

[profiles]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/profiles
        read only = No

[homes]
        path = /home/windows
        read only = No

Also, user_xattr and acl are enabled on the ext4 file system, and the home
folder on which I can
not set permission has root:users ownership with rwx rights (which was
working before).

Since it is a recopy from a working system, maybe there is a problem with
some file permission
on the linux system, but I have searched a lot without finding any solution.
Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
micmac