[Samba] Grant only one AD group to samba share ?

Newman, John W John.newman at viaoncology.com
Mon May 21 14:42:52 MDT 2012

OK, I definitely am missing something.  the group IDs do seem to work somewhat, but perhaps I just have the wrong syntax.  I keep going back to these two lines that he put there a long time ago:

winbind separator = \\
winbind use default domain = yes

I see others using & or % or @ ...

wbinfo -Y $(wbinfo -n "`wbinfo -g | grep Group`" | cut -d " " -f 1)
10005

so the SID mapping is somehow happening.  It's weird though as each time I call that with a different group name, the 10000 number just goes up by one.  Like it is making up the unix IDs as it goes and perhaps something isn't set right.   Shouldn't all of the AD groups be tied to a unix ID automatically, and not just making them up one at a time?

Anyway, I'm not sure if that relates to my real problem here or not.  I understand the nix security model pretty well ... windows not so much  .. and bringing windows permissions into a nix machine, not at all!!  :D   This was all set up by another dev who is no longer in our department, I am trying to make sense of it and enhance it.

Steve's suggestion below is probably correct to set the permissions on the share how I need, but what am I missing to get that chgrp command to work right?

Thanks