[Samba] Windows 7 often creates new user profiles

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon May 14 06:54:51 MDT 2012

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 04:48 PM CDT, Christian Meier <ch2009 at arcor.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 May 2012 17:47:02 +0200
> Christian Meier <ch2009 at arcor.de> wrote:
>
> > Windows 7 clients often create new roaming profiles for existing
> > users for no identifiable reason. Windows XP isn't affected.
>
> Some reasons for this behavior I googled:
>
> 1. insufficient permissions for profile-folder
> 2. "trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
> failed." --> dis-join and rejoin the workstation
> 3. .bak is appended in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
> \Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Remove the other SIDs and the
> ".bak" extension.
> 4. do not use roaming profiles. (But there are other problems with
> folder redirection [1].)
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Windows_Profiles#Folder_Redirection
> --

We too have seen this behavior but only on one of our pc's. It is not the server side that gets the rename as someone else mentioned  but rather on the PC side. If you look in C:\Users\ you will see:

username
username.DOMAIN
username.DOMAIN.000
username.DOMAIN.001
username.DOMAIN.002
etc

The profile seems to be pulling/writing to the server just fine. We have tried removing all the entries in the registry for all users on the machine except the local administrator one, removing/rejoining the pc to the domain, and double checking permissions all to no avail. It will do "right" for a few weeks and then it will start doing the multiple profiles again. To this date we have not found a way to fix the issue.
--
Donny B.