[Samba] Tecnical issue with samba and .mdb file

Adrià Batlle sudobat at gmail.com
Wed May 9 02:02:27 MDT 2012

Hello everybody,

I'm having trouble with samba 3.5.11 and an access 97 database.

I work in a business with 5 users that use a mdb database over samba, and
for the first to make a query everything works fine, but if some other user
tries to make a query when the first one is doing it, the database works
really slow, like if the .mdb file is being blocked (that's what I suppose).

I've been reading a lot about it, i found people talking about changing the
smb.conf to oplock = no and level2 oplock = no, but it doesn't work for me.

smb.conf

[global]
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   syslog = 0
   guest account = nobody
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
IPTOS_LOWDELAY
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   dns proxy = no
   netbios name= Server
   server string = %h
   logon script = INICIO.BAT
   unix password sync = yes
   workgroup = TRM
   os level = 99
   usershare allow guests = yes
   security = share
   max log size = 1000
   pam password change = yes
#   domain logons = yes
   domain logons = no
   interfaces = 192.168.0.193/255.255.255.0
   oplocks = no
   level2 oplocks = no
#   strict locking = no
   fake oplocks = no

[netlogon]
   path = /usr/lib/samba/netlogon

[SHARE]
   comment = Servidor
   path = /mnt/fitxers
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes

With an earlier version of samba (2 i think) everything was fine, but since
i upgraded it users complain me about how slowly the database works (just
when 2 people are using it).

Sorry for my horrible english and thanks for your time.

Adrià,