[Samba] Samba4 alpha17 seems to lose users

Florian Enner fenner.its-m2010 at fh-salzburg.ac.at
Mon May 7 08:38:12 MDT 2012

Hi,

I deployed the packaged version of samba4 and set it up as described in the samba4 HOWTO. I made a snapshot that seems to work very well: MSFT tools, kinit, dns etc. are all working as expected.

Package: samba4-alpha17 + Bind 9.8.3
OS: Ubuntu Server 11.10
HW: ESXi 5.0 VM

However, when I let samba4 run idle overnight and try to log in on a windows machine as the domain admin, the MSFT tools are not working anymore. When I restart the samba4 service, it seems like all the users are gone.

###
When I try kinit on all of the added user accounts, I get the following error message:
"kinit: Client 'USER at DOMAIN' not found in Kerberos database while getting initial credentials."

On the administrator account I get (yes, correct password):
kinit: Preauthentication failed while getting initial credentials
###

The only thing that seems to help is to jump back the to the working snapshot. Does anyone have ideas on what could be the cause of this or how to best debug this issue ? Help would be very much appreciated.

thanks,
Florian