[Samba] Samba4 LDAP: how to write to idmap.ldb

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun May 13 11:40:11 MDT 2012

On 05/12/2012 11:30 PM, steve wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I can change a mapping in idmap.ldb according to the samba4 wiki:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO#Managing_Samba_4_Active_Directory_From_Windows_XP_Pro
>

> But if I delete an object via ldbmodify or ldbedit, it doesn't delete
> the entry in idmap.ldb. We have users who we deleted long ago still
> present there. Over a period of time, this could amount to a lot of
> wasted space.

No the space used in idmap for a user mapping is ridiculously small if
you don't have removed ~ 10 000 users it's not worth to worry about
> Would it be possible that samba-tool user delete <x> and samba-tool
> group delete <y> also delete the corresponding entry in idmap.ldb?

Yeah it could be file an request in bugzilla explaining this, it's an
enhancement and I think it has a pretty low priority.

In the same time you should ask also for an expunge command so that if
you removed the user/group from ADCU we could remove all inactive groups.

But that's very very very low priority to me but should be rather easy
to do.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team