[Samba] "file not found" under high-contention

starlight.2012q2 at binnacle.cx starlight.2012q2 at binnacle.cx
Fri May 11 08:19:48 MDT 2012

At 07:08 AM 5/11/2012 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 09:56:52AM -0400,
>I need to know what calls are being made on the wire to
>get these inode numbers back from Samba. Just showing
>the cygwin output doesn't help, sorry.

GetFileInformationByHandle

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364952%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

BY_HANDLE_FILE_INFORMATION

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363788%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

.
.
.
DWORD nNumberOfLinks;
DWORD nFileIndexHigh;
DWORD nFileIndexLow;
.
.
.

nNumberOfLinks

The number of links to this file. For the FAT file system this member is always 1. For the NTFS file system, it can be more than 1.

nFileIndexHigh

The high-order part of a unique identifier that is associated with a file. For more information, see nFileIndexLow.

nFileIndexLow

The low-order part of a unique identifier that is associated with a file.

The identifier (low and high parts) and the volume serial number uniquely identify a file on a single computer. To determine whether two open handles represent the same file, combine the identifier and the volume serial number for each file and compare them.

The ReFS file system, introduced with Windows Server 8 Beta, includes 128-bit file identifiers. To retrieve the 128-bit file identifier use the GetFileInformationByHandleEx function with FileIdInfo to retrieve the FILE_ID_INFO structure.