[Samba] requesting help setting share permissions

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Thu May 10 14:06:30 MDT 2012

On 05/10/2012 1:32 PM, Mike Eggleston wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012, Chris Smith might have said:
>
>> This:
>> ================================
>> chgrp "GRP\sales" /opt/group/sales
>> chmod 0770 /opt/group/sales
>>
>> if you already have a bunch of directories and files use find with
>> xargs to properly set the permissions
>> ================================
>> With this:
>> ================================
>> [sales]
>>         comment = Sales files
>>         path = /opt/group/sales
>>         valid users = @"GRP\sales"
>>         force group = "GRP\sales"
>>         create mask = 0660
>>         directory mask = 0770
>>         nt acl support = No
>>         inherit permissions = No
>> ================================
>> Works fine in Samba 3.6.5, don't know about possible behavior changes
>> with that old 3.3.3.
>>
>> Or you can use SGID as Dale suggested instead of "force group".
>>
>> Chris
> Chris and Dale,
>
> Following Dales suggestion I have set sgid for all directiories in the
> /opt/group/sales directory and below.  Now when a file is placed by
> windows into this sales share the file has the right group permissions.
> The file is still appearing as 0666 rather than 0660. What should I
> try next?
>
> Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure what could be overriding your "force create mode"
parameter. :-\
Comparing my working share to yours, I have not used the "force group",
or the "msdfs root" parameters.  You might try disabling one or both to
see if that corrects the problem.
I did notice that the documentation says the Windows systems have to be
rebooted to work properly after a Samba "msdfs root" change, if that
applies.

Dale