[Samba] requesting help setting share permissions

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Thu May 10 12:32:26 MDT 2012

On Thu, 10 May 2012, Chris Smith might have said:

> This:
> ================================
> chgrp "GRP\sales" /opt/group/sales
> chmod 0770 /opt/group/sales
>
> if you already have a bunch of directories and files use find with
> xargs to properly set the permissions
> ================================
> With this:
> ================================
> [sales]
>        comment = Sales files
>        path = /opt/group/sales
>        valid users = @"GRP\sales"
>        force group = "GRP\sales"
>        create mask = 0660
>        directory mask = 0770
>        nt acl support = No
>        inherit permissions = No
> ================================
> Works fine in Samba 3.6.5, don't know about possible behavior changes
> with that old 3.3.3.
>
> Or you can use SGID as Dale suggested instead of "force group".
>
> Chris

Chris and Dale,

Following Dales suggestion I have set sgid for all directiories in the
/opt/group/sales directory and below.  Now when a file is placed by
windows into this sales share the file has the right group permissions.
The file is still appearing as 0666 rather than 0660. What should I
try next?

Mike