[Samba] requesting help setting share permissions

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Thu May 10 11:42:08 MDT 2012

On 05/10/2012 11:21 AM, Mike Eggleston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a share I'm trying to lock down to a specific group and I'm not
> hold my mouth right. I want this share available to a single group. I
> want this share to have directory permissions 0770 when a directory is
> created and file permissions 0660. I want the users accessing this share
> to never be able to change these permissions. When a file or directory
> is created, I want the group to be the controlling group and nothing else.
>
> I currently have:
>
> [sales]
>          comment = Sales files
>          path = /opt/group/sales
>          valid users = @GRP\sales
>          force group = sales
>          read only = No
>          create mask = 0660
>          force create mode = 0660
>          security mask = 0660
>          directory mask = 0770
>          force directory mode = 0770
>          directory security mask = 0770
>          msdfs root = Yes
>

> What am I doing wrong? I'm testing by copying a file in windows over to
> this share, then checking the resulting permissions in unix.
>
> Mike
>
> Fedora Core 5
> Samba 3.3.3

Mike,

You never mentioned what your results were or how they were wrong, so
I'm making a few assumptions.

chown your_user : your_group /opt/group/sales
chmod 2770 /opt/group/sales

In your share, modify 1st two and add the 3rd directive:

directory mask = 2770
force directory mode = 2770
nt acl support = No      # makes the Security tab inaccessible in Windows.

This is my best guess of what you want.  See if this works for you.  If
not, please clarify.

Good luck.

Dale