[Samba] samba(3.6.4), with LDAP backend and sambapasswordhistory issue

Kevin Taylor groucho.64738 at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 07:28:27 MDT 2012

Ok, here's an update. I recreated a user account and started changing the password on it, and now I'm seeing passwords stored in the sambapasswordhistory field. Each time I change it another one is stored.

Then, suddenly, the entire sambapasswordhistory entry is wiped clean and it's only storing the latest password. Each subsequent password change is only storing the latest password.

Seems like a buffer overflow maybe? If I modify the history length in the password policy, it looks like it starts working again for a bit.

I'm using Sun DSEE 7 as the ldap server and using the netscape5.ldif file.