[Samba] Samba4: fileserver and Posix ACL's

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue May 8 00:42:06 MDT 2012

On 05/08/2012 06:15 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 19:12 +0200, steve wrote:
>> Hi
>> Scenario:
>> user steve member of group called staff
>>
>> share called 'reports' with permissions 0750 root:staff
>>
>> When steve tries to access reports on xp or win7 he gets permission
>> denied. We have to set 'reports' to 0755 for steve to have access. No
>> amount of security tab work on the share in windows will allow him entry.
>>
>> We only want members of the group staff in reports but we can't if we
>> have to set it 0755. The same scenario over kerberized nfs to Linux
>> clients respects the access fine.
>>
>> Is this a spin off of the samba4 fileserver not being recommended at the
>> moment?
> Yes
>
>> Will this be fixed with s3fs?
> Yes
>
>> Will s3fs need a reprovision when available.
> No.  At most you will need to set some settings into the smb.conf, until
> it is made the default.
>
> I hope this clarifies things.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi Andrew, hi everyone
Thank you for taking the time to answer these points. Three positives.
Excellent news.

Rather than wait, could we know what the smb.conf settings are for s3fs?
In the wiki you mention s3fs problems with gpo's. Well, the only gpo we
have at the moment is not installing upgrades every time we switch off
so that we can install manually when we have seen what they are.
Cheers,
Steve