[Samba] Franky vs s3fs vs ...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 7 22:24:11 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 12:27 +0200, steve wrote:

> Hi
> We don't use winbind either and we also use nslcd (what a superb piece
> of kit). We simply store the rfc2307 attributes in the dn of the user or
> group and have setup scripts to manipulate uses and groups in this way.
> All I'm looking for is an altrernative to the file sever that ships with
> S4 at the moment. I think the new fileserver will become stable soon.
> Just looking at the possibilites for having something now rather than
> wait. Franky on the same box is attractive.

Steve,

Attempting to run Franky at this point will give you more, not less
pain.  There isn't some magic solution that we are hiding from you.

We are working to allow smbd to become the default file server in Samba
4.0, and have added the --use-s3fs option to provision to allow early
adopters to test it for us.

However, we do not recommend it at this stage, as in particular it fails
to correctly set ACLs for group policy objects.  This is the last issue
we hope that is blocking us changing, but in the meantime switching to
'Franky' won't solve these issues as they are common to any use of smbd
in a Samba4 AD DC.  If you do, you will instead bring up other issues
that we have spent the time since the Franky proposal was made
correcting or working around (such as not using the correct
authentication plugins, needing to manually forward the correct pipes
etc).

Andrew Bartlett