[Samba] Help with migration

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon May 7 07:25:21 MDT 2012

You may want to set up a test environment.

I have not been able to get NTLMv2 working properly.   I believe
enabling NTLMv2 should still systems to negotiate ver 2 but that didn't
happen-  at least I was unable to login from a Windows 2003 client with
a samba PDC.   NTLMv2 uses better encryption for authenticating the
users than NTLM v1 but I am not sure if the actual password itself gets
store differently in LDAP.    I think the same hash mechanism is used to
store the password.

I upgrade from samba 3.0.x to samba 3.4.x.  (both with LDAP backend.)
   I believe some of the issues I found were
  -  the nobody user and nobody group need to be explicitly mapped
  - some functionality with domain trusts were fixed, others broken
  -  I may have needed to explicitly grant privilegedes to the Domain
Administrators group.  (But that may have been because I initially mixed
up the group mapping for some groups.)

At some point joining machines to the domain got a little trickier.    I
need to make sure that some samba attributes were precreated

        type:      sambaPrimaryGroupSID
        value:    S-1-5-21-XXX-XXX-XXX-515

        type:      sambaAccountFlags
        value:     [W         ]

I am not sure if this issue happened with samba 3.4.x or would have
happened in 3.1.x, 3.2x or 3.3.x.  It may also be a schema checking
hiccup on the LDAP server.