[Samba] New unexpected behaviour when joining a domain

J.F.Gratton jean-francois.gratton at videotron.ca
Sun May 6 08:15:32 MDT 2012

Good morning,

I'm running Samba 3.6.5 on a Fedora 16 box, where I configured Samba to act as a PDC. A few weeks ago everything went smoothly; I then had to change the -physical- box running linux + samba, and everything went weird since then.

First, I'm using the same smb.conf file from the previous box. The OS hasn't changed, Samba packages might have been updated, but since I update that box on a almost-daily basis, not sure it could be a factor.

Some basic info :
Linux box is called oslo (10.2.1.1 / 13), domain name is devnet
A Win7 box (helsinki, 10.3.2.1 / 13) has to join the domain
A Win2K8R2 box (bergen, 10.2.1.101 / 13, VM running on oslo) has to join the domain.

I've applied the registry patch (as provided on http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7) on all machines awhile back; those machines were on the domain before I changed the linux box. Everything was fine then.

Now, the Win7 machine had to be rebuilt, too, from scratch. I applied the registry patch, made sure that 10.2.1.1 was present as a WINS server in its ip config and so on.

I joined the domain the usual way, and allowed all domain users to use the win7 box. Funny thing now is that I see those things in the samba server logs:
_netr_ServerAuthenticate3: netlogon_creds_server_checkj failed. Rejecting auth request from client HELSINKI machine account HELSINKI$ (which exists in /etc/passwd and the samba backend, as shown with pdbedit -L). Not sure if this error message is valuable.

The next funny thing that shows up now is that on my windows box, the users' domain accounts on the boxes appear as c:\users\USERNAME.oslo (the linux box hostname), instead of c:\users\USERNAME.devnet (devnet being the domain name).

I'm not sure what is going on. DNS issues ? WINS issues ? I can provide any info you might ask. I did not include my smb.conf file yet as I did not want to clutter this mailing list, especially if someone thought of something before me posting the file.

Regards,

-- Jeff