[Samba] after joining the domain the server loose the domain controller

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri May 4 07:27:33 MDT 2012

I think what is significant is that this server and the domain
controller are on separate TCP/IP subnets (which happen to be on
separate VLAN's.)

When you do your initial domain join, you specify the name of the domain
controller-  that name probably resolved via DNS (or may be from
/etc/hosts) so all goes well, even though the machines are on different
subnets.

My guess is that when your machine authenticates to the domain
controller the next time around it is "asking" for a domain controller
but not explicitly asking for the same controller it used before.   So
it might be doing a broadcast, which will not be successful.    You need
to make sure your member server "knows" about machines on the DC's subnet.

1- Configure your DC as a WINS server.  Configure your member server as
a WINS client.
2.  Configure "remote browse sync"  with the member server querying the
DC for its browser info.
3.  Use lmhosts on your member server -  similar to the hosts file,
except that it also tells you which machines are DC's for the domain.