[Samba] Samba4 oplocks: LibreOffice and Word file locking

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri May 4 02:12:33 MDT 2012

On 04/05/12 09:45, Ludek Finstrle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thu, May 03, 2012 at 10:16:28AM -0700, Jeremy Allison napsal(a):
>> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:08:49AM +0200, steve wrote:
>> Does this work (Word 2010 sees other opens) if you run the clients
>> against an S3 server ? I'm guessing it will. The current recommended
>> setup is to use S4 as an AD-DC, but S3 joined to the domain as a
>> fileserver.
>>
>> The S3 fileserver code will replace the S4 fileserver before
>> official S4 release.
>
> Why not use Samba Frenky? Mix of S4 and S3. I'm using it successfully.
> It doesn't need any virtualization on IP splitting.
>
> And when you use S4 AD-DC + S3 FS why don't you use only different IP
> in one box isn't it enough? Why virtualization?

I think I'd need two smb.conf files. One for the s4 containing netlogon
and sysvol and another for s3 to hold the shares. Can I do that on one box?

> Best regards,
>
> Luf
Hi Ludek
Yes, that's a good idea.

I think we're very close to a release of S4 with the integrated s3
fileserver so am trying to decide to wait for that or go ahead with
Franky or S3 and S4 on separate boxes. We use a lan of Win and Linux
oxes and need to move away from the fileserver that comes with S4. I'm
slowly fitting the pieces of all this together. Thanks for the
suggestion. I have the Franky wiki open as I write. Difficult to decide.
wait or go ahead!
Cheers,
Steve