[Samba] Samba4 oplocks: LibreOffice and Word file locking

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri May 4 00:43:36 MDT 2012

On 04/05/12 02:26, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 07:33:53PM +0200, steve wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I can't see how to do that. We currently have a single box S4 which
>> serves both the Linux and Windows clients. The files are in the same
>> folders on the same machine. S4 serves the Win boxes (ntvfs/cifs I
>> think) and nfs the Linux machines.
>>
>> How would I get a separate s3 fileserver to do the same job? If that
>> can be done then can we still keep nfs for our Linux clients?
>> Presumably on the same box as the s3 fileserver?
>>
>> Summary
>> Server1: S4 AD DC
>> Server2: s3 and nfs fileserver joined to Server1 domain
>
> That's exactly how to do it. You could use VM's to
> create the fileserver box or the S4 AD-DC.
>
> Jeremy.
Hi Jeremy
Thanks for the confirmation. The VM is a great idea.

Just one bit of confusuion:

When I create a new user, I create his homeDirectory in a share. I
create the user on Server1. Can I at the same time, create his
homeDirectory on Server2? Afterwards, how do I tell the clients to look
at Server1 to authenticate and Server2 to get the data?

I understand, I have
Server1
[global]
[netlogon]
[sysvol]

Server2
[global]
[homes]
[everything]
[else]

How do I get the clients to distinguish between the two?

Cheers,
Steve