[Samba] Samba4 oplocks: LibreOffice and Word file locking

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu May 3 03:08:49 MDT 2012

Hi
Lan with S4 and built-in file server for Windows clients. nfs for Linux
clients.

We are using LibreOffice to share documents and file locking works fine.
The first guy to open the doc gets the lock and a message is displayed
on other clients (windows or Linux) that the file is open.

Fine

Some users must however use Word 2010 to edit documents. Then file
locking doesn't work: anyone can open it. Any combination of clients and
any combination of LO or Word.

I'm told to turn off client oplocks:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters
OplocksDisabled = 1

However, our win7 clients do not have \Parameters

At HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services I see the folders:

mrxsmb, mrxsmb10 and ,rxsmb20

opening any of them gives another folder called Enum with

Default  REG_SZ  (value not set)
0        REG_SZ  Root\LEGACY_MRXSMB\0000
Count    REG_DWORD  0x00000001 (1)
NextInstance REG_DWORD  0x00000001 (1)

Any ideas how to turn off oplocks? Or WHY.
Cheers,
Steve