[Samba] net ads join error message "Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Client not found in Kerberos database"

kartheek katakam katakamkartheek at gmail.com
Tue May 1 20:56:22 MDT 2012

hello,

I have a wiered issue, some time when I run net ads join -U <username>,
some times I have see this error message, and some time it shows as
success. In between the error messages and success result, their are no
changes to any configuration, not sure what is causing this issue.

# net ads join -U 50483
Enter 50483's password:
[2012/05/01 21:41:15.227249,  0] libads/kerberos.c:333(ads_kinit_password)
  kerberos_kinit_password 50483 at XXXX.XXXXXXXX.COM failed: Client not found
in Kerberos database
Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Client not found in
Kerberos database
#
# net ads join -U 50483
Enter 50483's password:
Using short domain name -- CTLAB
Joined 'HOSTNAME' to realm 'xxxx.xxxxxxxxxcom'
#
before running this command, I have already add hostname object to Active
directory manually, can someone suggest, do I have to run this command to
see am I joined to AD or not?? What if I have run similar command multiple
times ??

Thanks,