[Samba] 2 GB file size limit with libsmbclient and Filesys::SmbClient perl module?!

Devavrat Mittal Devavrat_Mittal at symantec.com
Fri Mar 30 00:05:49 MDT 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

I tried using smbclient but ran into some other problems (I/O timeout downloading files) :(

Then I tried using smbget (wget like utility for SMB/CIFS shares).
It works (for files over 2GB, but like wget, it is limited to only one tcp connection).

But, it also seems that it does not depend on libsmbclient, at least ldd does not show libsmbclient as a dependency of /usr/bin/smbget.

Am I looking at some bug in libsmbclient over here?

Another thing, why does smbget manage to get the file first time around itself and smbclient consistently has problems downloading files from the server (network conditions remaining the same)?

So my question, which of smbclient or smbget is more mature/ maintained?
Do any of these depend on libsmbclient (static/ dynamic linking)?

Regards,
-Devavrat