[Samba] windows 7 roaming profiles

Sat Mar 31 06:59:08 MDT 2012

On 2012-03-30 12:35 PM, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
> I was simply pointing out that the *default* behavior was to always
> cache all data in redirected folders on the local client using the tried
> and true 'offline files' technology, but in a different way with respect
> to Redirected Folders (with Windows 7, which, in case you hadn't
> noticed, is the subject being discussed) - it synchronizes *as changes
> are made*, *in the background*, not at logon/logoff.

And of course, all of my replies also 'assume' that Samba behaves the
same way as Windows Server with Win 7 Clients - meaning, the default
behavior is to *always* *cache* (and sync in the background) all
redirected folder data on the local client.

Can anyone with *definitive* knowledge please comment on whether or not
this is true (it will affect my decision on replacing our Windows
Servers with Samba sometime in the next year or so)?

Also, I am curious if it is even possible to disable the local caching
on the client (although as I have said, I personally cannot think of
*any* reason/scenario where that would be a good idea - if you truly
never want *any* data residing on the local client, use THIN clients,
that is what they are for).

--

Best regards,

Charles