[Samba] Connected client unaffected by group/user/share change

Steve Tice stic6021 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 15:14:39 MDT 2012

I am trying to solve what I perceive as undesirable behavior of my Samba server. Please understand I am not claiming this is a bug in Samba. It is simply different from the behavior I want, and I'm asking for help in modifying the behavior.

My Samba server is version 3.5.4 (release 68.el6) and runs under CentOS 6.0 (x86_64). I happen to use Active Directory (AD) to authenticate, but am not convinced this behavior is specific to AD.

What follows is a generalized statement of the undesirable behavior, with the context provided first as a sequence of events:

1) A CIFS client establishes (and maintains) a connection to a CIFS share on our Samba server. Everything is normal so far.
2) After that connection has been established, a configuration change is made (examples provided as bullets below) which I think should immediately revoke the CIFS client's access to the connected CIFS share. For example:

    o Active Directory user is deleted from the domain (via the Active Directory Administrative Center on the domain controller).
    o The Active Directory user is removed from the CIFS share's list of permitted users (on the Samba server host).
    o The CIFS share is deleted (on the Samba server host).

Here’s the undesirable behavior. As long as the CIFS client maintains the existing connection to the CIFS share, access to that share is not revoked. That is, the user continues to have the same access to the share as they did when the connection was first established.

The desired behavior is for access to be revoked as soon as the configuration change pertinent to access rights is finalized. Disconnecting the affected client session(s) is acceptable and appropriate, but disconnecting other sessions (unaffected by the configuration change) is undesirable.

I would like to get your ideas toward an approach, programmatic or otherwise, that will yield the desired behavior. Perhaps this is as simple as changing my Samba server’s configuration; I have not found any configuration parameters that appear relevant to this behavior.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Steve Tice