[Samba] mode & mask

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 05:29:54 MDT 2012

actually it gets even more weird, from my perspective at least
maybe it all works but not for empty folders
if there are no subfolders then everyone authenticated has
full control, can delete the folder
permissions seem to begin to apply as soon as some content
ends up the folder

but there is another thing

test\
     testA
         test.txt
     testB
         test.txt

if a user B was given, with means of windows client,
'Modify' permission over testB and then this user creates
test.txt in this testB folder, then nobody has access to the
file apart from listing it, cannot open/read it

testA remained intact, userA created testA and test.txt in
it and everybody can open/read test.txt

it seems like at the point where windows acl are added, by
adding a user/permission to folder, that newly created file
by that added user gets unix acl like this

# file: testB\test.txt
# owner: my_Buser
# group: Domain\040Users
user::rwx
user:my_Buser:rwx
group::---
mask::rwx
other::---

whereas testA\test.txt has no ACLs yet, in other words has:

# owner: my_Auser
# group: Domain\040Users
user::rwx
group::r--
other::r--

how to tell samba to make it readable to the group, by
default, at file creation time?

many thanks