[Samba] windows 7 roaming profiles

Thu Mar 29 13:22:58 MDT 2012

On 2012-03-29 2:00 PM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> El 27/03/12 17:32, Miguel Medalha escribió:
>> If you want the files only on the server, you should look into
>> "Folder redirection". The Samba docs contain good info on that.
>>
>> You can use roaming profiles only, folder redirection only, or a
>> combination of both, which I usually consider the more appropriate
>> option.
>>
>> Samba-3 by Example -- Configuration of Default Profile with Folder
>> Redirection
>> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#redirfold

> My main concern was the filling up of the local disk with user profiles.
> A user may for example only log onto one particular box once and then
> never again.
>
> Of the three you mention above, which one corresponds to 'always read
> the profle from the server and store nothing on the local disk'?

None...

Folder Redirection will always (I think - or maybe Samba has a way to
disable this, but I don't think it would be a good idea at all) store
local cached copy of those folders on the local computer... what it
accomplishes is it saves all of the copying back and forth when logging
in/out.

If you want to use thin clients, use thin clients, don't cripple
Redirected Folders.

--

Best regards,

Charles