[Samba] Migrating to new domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:29:54 MDT 2012

I think the issue with two Samba/Win domains on the same LAN segment
(VLAN or physical) is that you may have two PDC's that each want to be
the master local browser.    If you are using a WINS server, most
browsing issues should go away.

I find domain trusts to be somewhat difficult to set up.   Each trusting
domain has to allocate unix uid and gid numbers  to the trusted users.
This involves winbind and idmap.   In your situation, the users in each
domain will be the same, so as long as you keep the same unix uid, gid,
uid number and gid numbers in the new domain you can probably skip idmap
config.     Basically, the samba server in OLDDOMAIN will map
"NEWDOMAIN\dbrooks" to the same "dbrooks" unix account as the local
"dbrooks" windows user.   And vice versa with OLDDOMAIN users access the
stuff in the NEWDOMAIN.    You would need to skip "share" security on
samba shares and just rely on file level security.    (There may be some
smb.conf settings for to allow this mapping to work)