[Samba] Migrating to new domain

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Mar 28 06:14:26 MDT 2012

In the comming months we will be setting up a few new machines to replace our PDC and BDC that are currently running Fedora 11 with Samba 3.4.7 and OpenLDAP 2.4.15. We will be upgrading to the latest Fedora with samba/ldap. With this we will be recreating our domain fresh to get rid of alot of old junk not needed and add in new features. We do use roaming profiles also.

My main concern is this: can I set up this new domain up along side of our current setup with no problems and then simply migrate a section of users at a time to it? We have roughly 10 BDC's that are setup as home servers for our end that house shares/roaming profiles/my documents for them. I know when we move a BDC to the new domain we will need to remove all of the end users connected to that machine and rejoin them to the new domain. I just don't want to have to rejoin all 200+ users at once.

Another way I had thought was to setup the new domain with new BDC/home servers and then just migrate a user at a time. The new and old BDC's could share the same files so the users could still share files no matter if they were moved or not. Would it be beneficial to just create new roaming profiles on the new setup and just copy over their firefox/thunderbird profiles to the new setup or should I migrate profiles to the new system too?

I am looking for any and all input on this. I just want it to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks in advance.

--
Donny B.