[Samba] Is the PDC always needed?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:01:29 MDT 2012

There are several factors determining which machine is the local  master
browser for the subnet-  but in general if you have one DC on the subnet
it should be the browser.    I think the browser provides a list of file
and print shares.   I don't think it is used for actually locating a
DC.   (I could be wrong.)   I think either WINS or broadcasts are used
for locating the actual server and other machines-  including the DC
(for login) or the master browser (to browse file and print shares.)

I don't think the browser issue is relevant to the login issue.

"testparm -v" should verify that the machine is a DC.
"pdbedit -Lv" should show that accounts are setup.

Did you look at the event log in the Windows machine?  They may show if
you are unable to locate an authentication server.

Are you able to put a Win machine on the same subnet as the working DC?

It may be quicker to head to your local computer supply store to replace
the bad RAM.