[Samba] NT4 PDC w/Exchange 5.5 migration

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Tue Mar 27 11:45:25 MDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:
> So presumably you would use the net vampire command to extract all the
> account info from the NT server.    The samba server is then a BDC, you then
> promote it to a PDC and make the NT server a BDC (or even a member server.)

Have already done this.

> Since you have to keep the NT4 server as a DC anyway, I don't see how
> temporarily making it a member server helps anything.

It doesn't have to be a DC, but does need to at least be a domain
member server or Exchange Server will not run.

> I wouldn't count on
> being able to join it back to a Samba 3.5.x domain.

That was the original sticking point but it now appears I've
accomplished this, basically needed to remove the NT4 system (no
longer a PDC) from the Samba (3.6.3) domain, join it to a workgroup,
then rejoin it to the domain. Even Exchange came up after the reboot,
although I'm not sure it's actually usable yet. Seems that there are a
bunch of things that vampire didn't handle well and some account
membership, group mapping, rights, etc. that need some attending to.

Thanks to virtualization I get to make a lot of mistakes along the
path to finding out if this is workable or not.

Chris