[Samba] NT4 PDC w/Exchange 5.5 migration

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:28:18 MDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Chris Smith <smb_77 at chrissmith.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on migrating an NT4 PDC to a Samba 3 PDC. The tricky part,
> is that the NT4 server is also running Exchange 5.5 which needs to
> remain running. So unlike a migrate and toss the NT4 system, I need to
> migrate, then demote the NT4 PDC to an NT4 Server, then (probably)
> rejoin the domain as Exchange Server will not run on a non-domain
> member system.

to clarify, this sounds kind of like you are running exchange on the PDC?

you can't demote an NT4 PDC to a stand alone or member server, it
requires a re-install.

I have done exchange 5.5 server migrations in the past, it's not too
difficult.  setup a new member nt4 server, install exchange on it and
join the existing (what's it called?  domain, cluster, group,
something) and then you can move connectors and  public folders and
mailboxes to the new one.

Also, has upgrading exchange or migrating to something else been
considered, like zimbra or Kerio (which is what i use now) that's
still Outlook friendly but more flexible?  Kerio can even be setup to
auth to PAM, so you can switch out how it auths by switching up the
PAM config.