[Samba] Is the PDC always needed?

David Noriega tsk133 at my.utsa.edu
Tue Mar 27 09:49:00 MDT 2012

The file shares are on a domain member. Is it that having the BDC as a
wins proxy and more importantly simply having wins on causing this
issue? We are on the university's network and they have their own wins
server for their own system wide windows domain. Our users primarily
logon from their office machines which are part of the university's
domain, not ours(which is only in our computer lab).

I'm just confused since the BDC has access to its own ldap server and
watching the logs when the setting is up high I see the domain member
which hosts the file shares is authenticating on the BDC. Yet why is
it when the PDC failed, users couldn't access their file share(which
yes is separate from logging onto a windows computer).

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Jorell <JorellF at fastmail.net> wrote:
> On 3/26/2012 9:27 AM, David Noriega wrote:
>>
>> Maybe my understanding is flawed but I thought the purpose of the BDC
>> was in the case of the PDC going offline, users could still use the
>> system. Just this morning our PDC failed with bad memory, yet users
>> were unable to map their network drive. The PDC is in our office while
>> the file server is in the server room where its been setup as a domain
>> member. On the server room subnet is its own BDC with its own ldap
>> server. Checking the logs I see that the server room BDC is listed as
>> the local domain server. The only thing that comes to mind is the BDC
>> does point to the PDC as the wins server. Is that the issue? Is there
>> a way around it?
>>

> The PDC/BDC controls logging onto the network.
> Network file shares are different, what server was hosting the "network
> drive"? If the PDC also hosted the network drive then they would also go
> down.
>

> --

David Noriega
System Administrator