[Samba] samba4: problems setting up win DC

Демченко Юрий Александрович demchenko.ya at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 05:09:57 MDT 2012

Hi,

I had a simple domain under samba 3.5, but because of our company's
complex structure, management made a call to move to win2k8
infrastructure. And my task is to do this migration seamlessly as possible.
My plan was to upgrade to samba4, then to add win2008 DC, transfer FSMO
roles, then demote samba server and shut it down. However, i run into
some troubles i couldn't solve...
I successfully upgraded to samba4 (just followed howto article from
official documentation) - DNS created, no errors in samba log, machines
and users successfully logging in, etc; without any troubles i joined
w2008 machine, used dcpromo to promote it to DC (dns records
successfully updated), everything went fine, even fmso transfer works
without errors.
But here's the trouble - this new win DC isn't starting SYSVOL and
NETLOGON shares, in event log it states only "eventid 13565", no other
errors. Of course, without this shares this DC isn't operational and
when i shutdown samba machine - domain stops working.
I tried MS kb290762 and Q312862 without any success, there are even no
ldap objects, mentioned in articles ("cn=domain system volume (sysvol
share),cn=file replication service,cn=system,dc=domain,dc=ru"; "cn=file
replication service" is empty). I even tried to set up w2003 DC first,
but with same result.

Any tips how to solve this problems? Or, perhaps, any other way to
transfer all my users&comps to new win domain without need to manually
unjoin&join each comp, transfer user's profiles, etc ?

--
Yura Demchenko