[Samba] CTDB NFS setup?

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Mar 22 06:16:18 MDT 2012

Hello,

I try to set up a clustered samba server (on Novell SLES11SP2) based
upon CTDB and NFS. My problem is that I do not yet understand the
structure of the setup when using NFS.

I followed the documentation in

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CTDB_Setup#Setting_up_CTDB_for_clustered_NFS

As far as I understand this documentation, it should be possible to set
up a samba cluster say having 3 nodes where I can use NFS instead of a
cluster filesystem like OCFS for the shared data directory that ctdb needs.

My initial thought was that I have exactly one NFS share (provided by
one NFS server)  and each node of the cluster mounts this directory to
access shared data but the documentation speaks explicitly of "each
cluster node exporting a share" with the same NFS fsid which I cannot
understand.

The config of CTDB again has parameters that allow the configuration of
the path where the shared (NFS) directory can be found that ctdb should
use. Aside from this ctdb has scripts and parameters that allow it to
automatically start/stop services like nfs and smb. So what do I have to
configure manually and what is done by ctdb's scripts?

What I cannot understand is who mounts all the export directories of the
cluster nodes? Does ctdb do this by some magic? Where can I tell ctdb
where these directories should be mounted.

Is it after all possible to use a simple NFS share as a shared directory
for CTDB or do I really need a real cluster filesystem klike OCFS2?

Can anyone help?

Have a nice day
Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse  1
56070 Koblenz, http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312