[Samba] Receiving async directory change notifications from a Windows Server host on a Linux client

Tin Tvrtković tinchester at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 04:30:34 MDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I need a way to programatically monitor a remote SMB share (hosted on a
Windows server) for new files, in an asynchronous (inotify-like) way from a
Linux machine. The directory I'd be monitoring might have a large number of
files, so I'd like to avoid constant polling. I'm open to just about
anything, from parsing smbclient stdout, to writing my own little C wrapper
around libsmbclient or a JCIFS Java application.

I'd like to know if this kind of async monitoring is even possible, and
what would be a good way to go about implementing it?

Thanks in advance.