[Samba] how to allow ISC dhcpd to add/update entries to bind9 with bind_dlz (samba4)

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Sun Mar 18 01:38:46 MDT 2012

Am 17.03.2012 21:06, schrieb Matthieu Patou:
> On 03/17/2012 10:00 AM, Andreas Oster wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have set up a samba4 server with bind9 and the bind_dlz module.
>> Everything is working as it should but now I need to allow the dhcp
>> server to add entries to the forwarding zone. Has anybody implemented
>> such a configuration ? Can this be done with the kerberos DNS dynamic
>> update configuration.
> I had it working with flat file backend.
> I think that the way dhcp and bind do their DDNS is different form the
> way windows do it's DDNS, as far as I know dlz_plugin only support the
> later one so far.
>
>> I want to achieve the following:
>>
>> 1) allow non-Windows machines (printers, ILO ...) to be added by dhcpd
>> 2) allow Windows machines (joined to AD) to update their own entries
>>
>> 2 - already works with the configuration from samba wiki
>>
> I put our DNS experts in direct copy maybe then can advise you better
> than I.

Hello Mattieu,

thank you for you answer. I searched the web allot, but the
only useful stuff I found was a script by Michael Kuron which
has been slightly modified by Charles Tryon but I have no
clue how to integrate this with bind9 dlz, see:

http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2011/02/isc-dhcpd-dynamic-dns-updates-against-secure-microsoft-dns/

It would be great if someone could help me with the DDNS setup.

best regards

Andreas