[Samba] Robocopy from Windows to Samba (3.6.3) with backup flag

Vincent Miszczak vmiszczak at ankama.com
Tue Mar 13 04:27:07 MDT 2012

Hello,

I need to copy a Windows NAS to a Samba one preserving all stuffs (dates, owner, security, etc...) in an enterprise environment.

I'm used to do that with between two Windows using robocopy  and the /b (backup) flag, so I can backup files even if I do not have an ACE for my account as I have the backup and restore privileges.

I need to do the same thing from Windows to Samba but using the backup flag does not work at all : it does not even copy the data. If I copy without the backup flag, it's OK for the files I have access, but as I am in an enterprise, I don't have access to all files.

Here what happens :
(From the Windows NAS) :

robocopy G:\share\XXXXX\04_generique \\samba-nas\root$\xfs\shares\archives\XXXXX\04_generique /V /NS /NC /NDL /NFL /S/E /COPY:DATS /B /NP /XJ /R:0 /W:30

2012/03/13 10:56:18 ERROR 87 (0x00000057) Copying NTFS Security to Destination Directory G:\share\ XXXXX \04_generique\
The parameter is incorrect.

ð  No data is copied :/

If do the same without the /B flag, it's OK in this particular case, but I don't have access to all the data and I won't be able to.

I have tested on Centos 6 with Samba 3.5.10 and Samba 3.6.3 and I have the same result.

Is this supposed to work ?
Are there "special" parameters in smb.conf for this to work ?
If not, how can I backup from Windows to Samba ?

Regards.

believed to be clean.