[Samba] Samba4 list members of an AD group

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Mar 11 00:36:24 MST 2012

On 03/10/2012 11:11 PM, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 03/10/2012 08:09 AM, steve wrote:

>>> Ask Microsoft.
>>>
>>> Make the same on test windows server and try to see if you can see
>>> this attribute.
>>> If so make traces and try to figure out the differences of behavior
>>> between samba and windows.
>>>
>>> Matthieu.
>>>
>> Hi
>> I'd gladly approach ms but I don't have a 2008 server.
> You can try to download a test version of Windows 2008R2
>> Anyone? I think they'd tell me that I'd have to buy extra software to
>> be able to list members of a group.
> Check the doc, Microsoft published a list of document related to their
> protocols:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg258393%28v=prot.13%29.aspx
>

>> All I did was create a group:
>> samba-tool group add mygroup
>> then ldbmodify or ldbedit sam.ldb on
>> cn=mygroup,cn=Users,dc=domain,dc=com, to add:
>>  objectClass: posixGroup
>>  gidNumber: 6000
>>
>> Everything is working fine, I just can't list group members.
>>
> Can you try a test version and see the behavior of
>> Meanwhile, _is_ there a samba-tool or wbinfo command that lists
>> members of a group?
> Don't know, didn't look like it has it.
>
> Matthieu.

Hi
I can find the posix stuff in the schema and there's a copy of it with
the s4 source but nothing specific about not being able to list members
of a group. This:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2379276
seems to suggest setting
  primaryGroupID = gidNumber
  which is fine in that it makes the mapping more readable but does not
solve the group listing problem of course.
Anyone else been here?
Cheers,
Steve