[Samba] Directory appears different dependent on access path

Michael Adler madt at tapil.com
Wed Mar 7 17:06:55 MST 2012

I figured it out:  turns out the machine was behaving like there was a
persistent cache because that's exactly what it had.  Windows 7 Ultimate
has offline caching (sync center) that I never knew about and it is enabled
by default.  Somehow, the quick temporary file write followed by rename
triggered a conflict event in the offline cache even though the share was
on line.  Clearing the conflicts and disabling offline files resolved the
problem.

I saw the same behavior for Samba configured as both NT1 and SMB2.  There
could still be a latent bug here -- I don't know whether it is limited to a
race in Adobe Illustrator and Windows or whether Samba is involved.  I'm at
least happy that the answer rules out corruption of the file server.

-Michael