[Samba] Best strategy for setup

Erik Anderson subscribed at hardwaremonkey.com
Tue Mar 6 15:03:54 MST 2012

First, thank you for the reply

[quote]
Security=user means the samba machine will be a domain controller.
Are you familiar with Windows Domain vs Workgroup model? (this is not a
samba specific thing.)
[/quote]
Aha. That makes much more sense. In this situation, a workgroup probably is
best, so long as I can actually setup separate storage locations and some
basic security to prevent accidental deleting of each other's files. In
fact, one machine is an XP Home; but I could upgrade it if I must.

[quote]
If you can't use the domain model, you need to configure the same user
names and passwords on all the machines.
[/quote]
So each windows installation would actually use the same user name and
password? Can't the windows box just supply a generic user name and pw to
samba? Also, can the machine name be used for share mapping/security?

[quote]
If your profile roams, ... I don't use roaming profiles myself- found
then to be too much of a headache.
[/quote]
If I go with Workgroups, then profiles are not available anyway, right?

[quote]
FYI I found that with Samba 3.4.x, that enabling offline folders on Win
7 machines could easily break offline authentication. But that might
have just been a bug on my setup. Instead we use the free MS tool
"synctoy."
[/quote]
Good suggestion for this home environment. Thanks!