[Samba] zero byte files

Ed Siefker ebs15242 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:45:34 MST 2012

I am experiencing data loss on a CIFS share
with Samba 3.6.3.  I am running Debian Sid
on x86.   I mount the share with the following
line in my fstab:

//server/share	/mnt/share	cifs	auto,users,rw,gid=50,dir_mode=0775,file_mode=0777,domain=DOMAIN,credentials=/root/share.credentials

The user in the credential file is in the proper domain.
GID 50 is "staff", which my user is a member of.
I can read and write to the share, but sometimes I
lose data.  I can't figure out any pattern.

Just now, I downloaded a 2.4GB TAR file.  It worked
perfectly.  Then I go to extract the TAR, and about
25% of them are zero bytes.

$ du -hsc *
2.4G	GSE14333_RAW.tar
0	GSM358341.CEL.gz
8.9M	GSM358342.CEL.gz
9.0M	GSM358343.CEL.gz
8.6M	GSM358344.CEL.gz
0	GSM358345.CEL.gz
0	GSM358346.CEL.gz
8.7M	GSM358347.CEL.gz
8.9M	GSM358348.CEL.gz
0	GSM358349.CEL.gz
8.4M	GSM358350.CEL.gz
8.7M	GSM358351.CEL.gz

All these files should be 7-9M in size.  TAR did not complain
at all when I untarred the files. It exited normally. I looked
in 'dmesg' and /var/log/samba for any errors, and didn't
find anything informative.

So, any thoughts as to what's going on? Random files are
simply missing for no apparent reason whatsoever. Can I provide
more information that will be useful?  This is very disconcerting,
I'm lucky I was working with publically available files when
I discovered it.