[Samba] Best strategy for setup

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:47:39 MST 2012

Security=user means the samba machine will be a domain controller.
Are you familiar with Windows Domain vs Workgroup model?  (this is not a
samba specific thing.)

Are the desktops and laptops Pro or Home?  if they are Home they can not
join a domain.  If you can't use the domain model, you need to configure
the same user names and passwords on all the machines.

If your profile roams, then it should include the "My Documents"
folder.  I think to enable roaming profiles you just need to configure a
profile share on the server.  I believe that roaming profiles require
that you are using a domain model.   I think XP and Win 7 will require
different profile folders. I don't use roaming profiles myself-  found
then to be too much of a headache.

For other shares-  you can right-click a share and select it to be
available off line.  (You need offline folder function enabled by the
administrator on the workstation.)   This is all handled by the windows
client- as long as it thinks it is talking to a Windows server.   There
shouldn't be anything to configure on the server side.

FYI I found that with Samba 3.4.x, that enabling offline folders on Win
7 machines could easily break offline authentication.    But that might
have just been a bug on my setup.     Instead we use the free MS tool
"synctoy."