[Samba] Best strategy for setup

Erik Anderson subscribed at hardwaremonkey.com
Tue Mar 6 12:40:06 MST 2012

I have setup samba on a few servers. Each time, it has been a little
confusing, I read, re-read the documentation, and finally get something
that works. Usually, I feel like I have not done it the best way.

I have looked at how-tos and guides. I am still a novice in *nix.

This time, I am reaching out for some help. For some reason, I am just an
idiot with Samba. I understand the configuration for individual shares, but
I think it is the security, users, and group membership that is confusing.

Let me start with my objective:
I have several Windoze machines on a home network (XP and 7). Some are
desktops and some are laptops. The laptops are home at night and gone
during the day (roaming). I would like to use Samba as a method for backup
and general file sharing. In general, the same person uses the same machine
day-in/day-out. For each user, I would like to take their My Documents and
Profile settings are store them on the server. Then, I would like the files
to be available offline on the Windows machine. In addition, there will be
Public files (media essentially) that are read/write for everyone. Of
course, there are a couple printers to share, the main one being connected
to a Windoze XP box.

I can share my smb.conf, but was hoping someone could help me out with the
best way to do this.

I am guessing:
1. security=user
2. use roaming configuration in smb
3. manually create each windows user in both nix and smb, using the
existing windows password and names (???)
4. setup shares in smb.conf
5. use windows "make network drive available offline"

Is this the right concept to get started? What am I missing?

Thank you in advance.
4. put script