[Samba] Samba4. Could we have a %U wildcard for smb.conf?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 5 16:16:30 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 00:07 +0100, steve wrote:
> On 05/03/12 23:08, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> >
> > On 03/05/2012 04:57 PM, steve wrote:
> >> Thanks,
> >> Steve
> >
> > My guess is that's not going to be anywhere near specific enough to answer.
> >

> OK
>
> Hi everyone
>
> In Samba3 there is a facility where one can specify a samba user-name in
> the smb.conf configuration file using a wildcard: %U
>
> Would it be possible to have a similar wildcard for the smb.conf
> configuration file in Samba4?
>
> Any better? Please let me know if you need any more details.

The way this is going to be available is when we finish the s3fs effort
to use the s3 file server, and the associated macro processing.

The % macros in general are very difficult to handle correctly in the
general sense, because the way our code is structured, these depend on
global variables.  Samba4 is structured such that multiple connections
are handled (potentially) in a single process, and so the global
variables pose a challenge.

Andrew Bartlett