[Samba] Windows 7 tries to connect port 80 and return system error 53

Grzegorz Cempla grzegorz.cempla at veneo.pl
Fri Mar 2 04:55:01 MST 2012

Hi,

In our offices we are using Samba server on Ubuntu. We have number of
Windows workstations connecting to it without any problem. Just recently
one of my colleagues reinstalled his Windows 7 and has lost the access to
our Samba server. After digging through log files I began sniffing the
server interface with tcpdump and have discovered that the Windows
workstation tries to connect port 80 on the Samba server and then - after 3
attempts - it gives up and returns system error 53. I have already made
sure that WebClient is turned off. l don't have any service running on port
80 on Samba server (we did not even install Apache) so all requests get RST

Any ideas?

--
Grzegorz Cempla
Architekt rozwiązań