[Samba] problem with created file permissions

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Sun Mar 4 18:10:11 MST 2012

Quoting John W (2012-03-04 19:45:27)
>In both of the below examples, files always get created with 744
>permissions ('-rwxr--r--').
>
># example 1
>[myshare]
> comment = my share
> path = /path/to/myshare
> public = yes
> read only = no
> writable = yes
> browseable = yes
> printable = no
> force create mode = 0777
> create mask = 0777
>
># example 2
># identical to the above, except for the last two lines, which are instead:
> force create mode = 0000
> create mask = 0000
[...]
>Thanks
>-John

Hi John.

I've struggled on/off with that sort of thing with Samba over the years.
The key for me was to ensure I was properly setting the permissions I
wanted on the actual filesystem and not to supply samba with anything.
In some cases I've used inherit permissions with some varying success.

Prob. not the answer you're hoping for but perhaps that could steer you
in the right direction.

Phil