[Samba] speed of samba vs Windows

Ben Metcalfe bwmetcalfe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 16:37:01 MDT 2012

"Well, that is not going to happen."

Needs to happen for stuff to work right. Vista and Windows 7 needs to be
told how to handle time stamps on Samba shares or data gets copied twice
*needlessly* during the logon process. Setting up the correct registry
entry *RoundUpWriteTimeOnSync* in some very simple group policy should be
trivial for your windows guy and roughly double your logon speed. You all
win, and he won't have broken anything. He can follow a microsoft approved
technique from technet.com:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2007/03/16/using-offline-files-with-samba-emc-servers-nas-devices.aspx

or just ask him to search as follows:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=RoundUpWriteTimeOnSync